The birthplace of the Clydesdale is hoping to honour its relationship with the breed by erecting a “magnificent” horse sculpture.
The Lanark Community Development Trust is trying to raise funds for the project, which will celebrate the town’s long history with the heavy horse, which was first bred at a farm just across the river Clyde.
The sculpture will be placed near Lanark Auction Market which hosted Clydesdale horse sales for more than 140 years; although the horses were also sold at Lanark Fair from the mid-1700s.
The breed was developed from Flemish stallions, who were imported to Scotland and crossed with local mares, with the first known use of the name Clydesdale being recorded in 1826.
Please click here to read the rest of the article as it appears on the Horse and Hound website.
Article written by: Sarah Radford